Animal photography is a lot like photographing children. Most of our clients are a bit anxious, excited, fidgety, talkative, or distracted. No pet is the same. What works for one doesn’t work for the next. So, for the first 15 minutes of our scheduled session, I usually take that time to get to know your pet and their likes and dislikes. Based on what we discuss during the first few minutes determines how we will approach our photography session. Some pets would rather start things off getting to know me and investigating all of my strange equipment while others may be a bit more comfortable stretching out our introduction through the entire length of our session while sticking close to their human.
Keep in mind that you know your pet the best. Never hesitate to speak up if you have ideas as we work together to get the best shots of your pet!
Let’s be honest! When it comes to our sweet fur babies, things such as eye boogers, mud, slobber, and tangles are part of the package so it’s always a good idea to spruce up your pet before a session and be sure to bring a comb or brush for long haired pets as well us a hand towel for His Royal Slobber Lips. 😜 Don’t forget fresh drinking water if we are doing a session somewhere other than your home where fresh water may not be available or the temperatures are high.
Most sessions are done with your pet on a leash or lead. (Indoor sessions are an exception) It may be removed on occasion at the joint discretion of client and photographer. When possible, humans and leads will be removed from photos. Collars and bridles will NOT be removed from photos. Please choose your favorite collar or bridle prior to beginning our session. Below is an example of how we can pose your pooch on a leash without risk and how it is possible to remove the client in post processing.
To get that great photo, please bear in mind where your pet is most comfortable and safe. For instance: If your pet doesn’t do well on leash or lead, then our session would be best done in an enclosed area. Or if your pet is more relaxed and comfortable in an outdoor setting, please consider this when choosing your preferred session package.
- What should I bring? Clean leashed pet, favorite treats, and any articles of clothing that you may want the pet to wear.
- Can my pet wear an e-collar and you remove it in photoshop? We do not remove e-collars or any other collars from photos. However, we will work together to keep the box part of the collar behind the dog during our session. You are also welcome to bring a wide collar, scarf, or bandanna to wear over the e-collar.
- Does my dog need to know how to sit, stay, or lie down? No! While a well trained dog is very helpful in capturing that beautiful photo, it is not required.
- My pet doesn’t do well with other pets, can we still do a photography session? Absolutely! We will work with you to decide on the best and safest place to take photos.
- Do you do anything special for old or terminally ill pets? Special attention is given to these Furget-Me-Not sessions and we will do our best to get you in as soon as possible with a few other additional perks. No hidden fees. Please tell us up front about your situation so that we can prioritize your session and make things go as smoothly and as stress free as possible. PLEASE book these sessions AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! DO NOT WAIT! (The photo reveal is still applicable for these sessions. However, we understand the sensitivity of these circumstances and can work around the schedule you feel most comfortable with to schedule our reveal.)